By Gary W. Murphy
Even though opera houses and concert halls remain dark, it doesn’t mean opera lovers will be without their music. Many of the top companies have made opera productions available to audiences around the world for free. Here are just a few for you to explore.
- LA Opera presents a series of living room recitals online with many of our favorite young artists. You can find them on LA Opera’s Facebook page.
- The Metropolitan Opera hosts nightly Met Opera streams on its website. These free streams will present encores of past performances from its famed Live in HD series. The encore presentations will begin each day at 4:30 p.m. PT and will then be available for an additional 20 hours thereafter. Each showcase will also be viewable on the Met Opera on Demand apps. The schedule can be found here.
- London’s Royal Opera House will launch a program of free online content which includes ballet as well as opera and can found via the company’s Facebook page and YouTube channel.
- In Berlin, the Staatsoper unter den Linden provides online streams on its website. The daily offerings will change, with some reruns, and be available for 24 hours.
- Vienna State Opera will broadcast recordings of previous opera and ballet performances from recent seasons via Staatsoper Live.
- Palermo, Sicily’s Teatro Massimo will show daily streams of its past programs. Click here to access the performance and a virtual program to make the experience as immersive as possible.
- Have you ever wanted to go to the annual Rossini Festival? Well, now we have chance as it embarks on a new enterprise entitled Soirees Musicales which will stream a cycle of operas from the Festival’s past decade. Find it on the Rossini Festival website.
- Some have said a trip to Munich State Opera is akin to an opera pilgrimage. Now you can see for yourself as the company presents individual performances as video-on-demand via Staatsoper.TV.
- Teatro Regio in Turin, Italy also has its own YouTube channel where you can find a variety of opera titles both familiar and rare such as Korngold’s Violanta and Cimarosa’s Il Matrimonio Segreto.
- Beth Morrison Projects offers us a chance to revisit Dog Days which LA Opera presented several years ago.